Backups Policy Explanation requested

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jan 6 12:21:29 EST 2011

On 5 January 2011 at 17:03, David T. said:

[...]
> Can someone please explain to me what process is creating the additional
> classes of data file copies (those with the {file}.{timestamp}.gnucash
> form? I can assure you that it is NOT a result of my opening the
> timestamped data file, as I only invoke Gnucash from an icon on my Dock.

They are the backups created when you do a Save in Gnucash. The timestamp
denotes the time you did the Save.

> These extra files are clogging up the disk partition, but I am wary of
> deleting them without understanding a) what they are, b) where they are
> getting created, and c) what exactly they contain.

They are your way back to a previous version of your data, should you
make a mistake. Gnucash will delete them automatically at the same time
as it deletes the corresponding .log file (see Preferences->General).