reconcile account containing arbitrary categories

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 17:32:48 EST 2011

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 17:10:33 -0500, ... <offonoffoffonoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Anthony Dardis <adardis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmm. That's what "Include subaccounts" is supposed to do. What happens
>> when
>> you check that?
>>

> Maybe I am not using the reconcile function correctly.  I just get two
> separate lists, one income and the other outgone, and I can check off
> which
> transactions actually happened. It does include the subaccounts, but it
> doesn't show me how each transaction effects the total balance, and it
> inconveniently separates the income and outgone.
>

> What I was doing to reconcile before I made the sub accounts, without
> using
> the reconcile function, was to just compare the bank statement with the
> checking account account.  The transactions would be ordered by date and
> could see the account total after each transaction and compare that with
> the
> bank statement.
>
> That works fine unless the account contains sub accounts, then I only see
> transactions that were made from the parent account but not the sub
> accounts.  When I "open subaccounts" rather than "open account" from the
> main account list, I get all the transactions but not a running balance
> after each transaction, which is so helpful in reconciling.
>
> -elliot

(a) the running totals in your accounts typically won't exactly match
those on your bank statement, for instance if you write a check on 1/10
and the bank shows it clearing on 1/16, hence after some things you record
on 1/12, etc.; (b) the only total that really matters is the one at the
end of the statement period; if that's correct, then there's no need to
worry about each step along the way. You're right that the running total
could help in locating a discrepancy, but it could be a struggle if there
are enough differences in the sequence. (FWIW, Quicken's reconcile window
is essentially the same as GnuCash's, and doesn't offer running totals
[unless I'm misremembering ...].)