FX Rates

Ken kmailuk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:58:00 EST 2011

In fact, if a developer is reading this, how difficult would it be for
GnuCash to make a "single conversion jump"?

I would define a standard security price as zero jumps and if prices
exist (for example) on GBP/USD and EUR/USD then GBP/EUR would be a
single jump (including one inverse) where GBP/EUR = GBP/USD *
(EUR/USD)^-1.

One might also imagine the possibility of more than one jump, but I
would guess that 1 jump would be useful in the vast majority of cases.
 For instance, a user which only deals in one currency (i.e. a USD
investor who only tades USD stocks) would get by under the current 0
jump implementation. An investor who trades across different
currencies would need the possibility of a single jump.  As long as FX
rates exist in the major currencies, one jump would allow for nearly
any security to be priced in any other currency.  Only in a very rare
situation would one need more than one jump.

Is this possible to implement?  Is there much demand for such a feature?

Thanks,
Ken