Having difficulty transferring Gnucash accounts from a Windows machine to a Linux machine

Richard Cuff rdcuff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 12:49:45 EST 2011

Greetings -

I am new to the list; I've used Gnucash for over a year now, so I
understand the program itself reasonably well.  I love using it and
would be disappointed if I had to abandon its uage.

I have been using it on a Windows XP computer; the Gnucash version I'm
using on that windows PC is v2.2.9.

I am attempting to transfer the files to a computer running Mepis
Linux 8; I downloaded and installed version 2.2.6 (that's the version
provided for this Linux distrubution).

I have the data file successfully moved over and adjusted the file permissions.

I can open the file on the Mepis Linux machine and get the list of
accounts, but when I attempt to open an individual account, Gnucash
abruptly closes with no warning or error message.

The application log file is huge - 4.7 MB - so I didn't think you'd
want it all posted here.

Should I look for specific entries to help troubleshoot the process?

Or should I simply export account files via QIF etc. and them import them?

Thanks in advance -

RIchard in Allentown, PA  USA