GnuCash won't start

Linde B. linde.brocato at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 12:06:58 EST 2011

Went to see where data files were, and didn't have an icon in the
"Start Menu" folder, so I used the "Run" link to get a command line,
went to gnucash, and chose this:
"C:\Program Files\gnucash\bin\gnucash-bin.exe"

ran it, and got the message:

gnucash-bin.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because libgncmod-engine.dll was
not found. Re-installing the application may fix this program.
<<

BTW, if I don't shut off OnDemand Scan from McAfee's VirusScan, it
claims to find a couple of trojans in a couple of files for 2.4.0
(is-GI4JC.tmp and another .tmp file) as "Artemis!9A183DF6E17F" -- I
googled the file names and got nothing, and searched them in McAfee's
virus info, and also got no hits, so I disabled On-Demand Scan for
installation.

I sent one of the developers a message via the Source Forge messaging
function... I don't know enough to know whether that's significant or
not.

I thought I saw that the data files are in Documents and
Settings\linde\.gnucash2 -- so I should copy / back up that to
somewhere else?  And there are a ton of gnucash "lindesfinances..."
files in \linde\...

So I'm thinking I should uninstall 2.2.9 and reinstall...? 2.4.0?

Thanks, y'all
Thanks...

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:36, Mike Leone <turgon at mike-leone.com> wrote:

> On 1/12/2011 11:25 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > "Linde B." <linde.brocato at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Yep, I tried the "file-->open" and also tried to find a log to run from the
> >> import menu.  none of it worked.  Perhaps now, after installing and using
> >> 2.2.9, if I uninstall it and install 2.4.0, might it find the data?
> >
> > Just remember where your data file is located...
>
> And make another copy somewhere else, just to be doubly sure.

Linde M. Brocato

[Clock] Time is a human invention that allows for coordination and
frame of reference stabilization. Conventional planners have lost
track of that, and a few hundred years of industrialization and
artificial manipulation of our relation to natural rhythms has made us
forget it. -- Charlie Gilkey

When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights, are
considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism,
extreme materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.
. . . A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on
military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching
spiritual death. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. --
Frederick Douglass