Problem with unspecified fatal error

Russell Mercer rmercer206 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 02:57:21 EST 2011

Hi All,

I have been using Gnucash for almost a year now, with no problems.  I am now
upgraded to Version 2.4, running on Windows XP SP 3.
Yesterday I was using Gnucash.  Today, I closed the program, and restarted
my workstation due to Windows installing some security updates, etc.  Now,
when I attempt to start Gnucash, I receive the following error:

"Unspecified fatal error encountered, aborting."

"Runtime error"
"Program:  C:\Program Files\gnucash\bin\gnucash.exe"
"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information."

That is all.  The program will now not open.  I uninstalled gnucash and
reinstalled the program.  After reinstalling, the program started up and
worked properly.  I then closed it after about an hour.  Upon trying to
reopen, am receiving the same error as above.

What could be causing this?  Any ideas?  My user profile has administrative
privileges, so I don't see that being the problem, and it was working
before.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russell