gnucash 2.4.0 slow windows startup

John Doppke John.Doppke at TRW.COM
Thu Jan 13 09:18:36 EST 2011

I have what seems to be a common issue - gnucash 2.4.0 hangs at the splash screen for 5-10
minutes before starting on windows XP.

I ran Sysinternals Process Monitor while gnucash was starting and found it was going through every
 file name in the top level directory (C:\) and trying to open a reg key based on the name, as well as
 doing DNS lookups on it  After going through the entire list of file names, it started within a minute.

Not sure why it's doing this or even doing anything with network access at this point.

Here's an example of what it's doing

QueryDirectory	C:\	SUCCESS	0: .idlerc, 1: .nx, 2: .qtnx, 3: .rnd, <SNIP>

RegOpenKey	HKLM\Software\Novell\NetWareWorkstation\ServerCache\.IDLER     NAME NOT FOUND
<SNIP>

RegOpenKey	HKLM\Software\Novell\NetWareWorkstation\ServerCache\AUTOEXEC.BA	     NAME NOT FOUND

-John D