Attachments

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jan 14 21:32:28 EST 2011

John wrote:

>Hello,
>I have been using Gnucash for about a year now and like the software a lot.
>I have been wondering how hard it would be to add the ability to attach
>files to transactions (per split). It would be very useful to attach pdfs of
>reciepts to the transactions in case I need to look it up for what ever
>reason.
>I am considering posting a small bounty for this as it would be useful.

Suggestion?  That is perhaps too specific? And I suppose if perchance
one of these receipts came to you on paper you'd have to scan it in?

How about instead asking for an additional column for notation? Just
like the "check number" column of the account used for a checking
account. You then can use this as a "receipt reference number" (which of
course would match whatever number you have assigned the receipt in your
"receipt file*"). The point is that this would be more generally useful.
YOU would use this reference number for your purpose but other people
might choose to use it for some other purpose.

Michael

* That's "file" in a logical sense. Your actual file might consist of a
folder of PDFs plus an accordion with those on paper plus ..... They
would just need to have each been assigned an unique number.

PS ---- you can of course do this NOW (without a new extra column). Just
think about your "description" field a little differently and come up
with a way (a rule) that would let that serve for the purpose. An
example rule ---- "If the description begins with a number then that
number is a receipt reference number"

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.