Sharing and backing up gnucash files on several machines

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 15 19:50:48 EST 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Paul Abrahams wrote:

> I would like to be able to run Gnucash from any one of several machines.  I
> assume the locking mechanism will protect me from conflicting modifications --
> that's what it's there for.   I plan to store the data as Dropbox files.  In
> fact, Dropbox itself provides automatic 30-day backup, and for an extra fee
> you can get much more than that.
>
> I know about the .gnucash, .log, etc. files.   But are there other configuration
> files around also that control options and keep track of the data for online
> banking?  If so, where can I find them?

Assuming that you're using Gnucash 2.4, your online banking info is in ~/.aqbanking, and the preferences set by the preferences dialog are in ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash.

Hmm, there's ambiguity, too... As of 2.4, newly created account files have a .gnucash extension. Is that what you meant that you know about? Or do you know that gnucash saves a bunch of state information in ~/.gnucash? (Now, of course, you know both!)

I'm sure you;re also aware that for file locking to work in this setup you'll have to be sharing the files via dropbox, not just backing them up there.

Regards,
John Ralls