Sharing and backing up gnucash files on several machines

Paul Abrahams abrahams at acm.org
Sat Jan 15 22:15:37 EST 2011

On Saturday, January 15, 2011 07:50:48 pm John Ralls wrote:

> Assuming that you're using Gnucash 2.4, your online banking info is in
> ~/.aqbanking, and the preferences set by the preferences dialog are in
> ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash.
>
> Hmm, there's ambiguity, too... As of 2.4, newly created account files have
> a .gnucash extension. Is that what you meant that you know about? Or do
> you know that gnucash saves a bunch of state information in ~/.gnucash?
> (Now, of course, you know both!)
>
> I'm sure you;re also aware that for file locking to work in this setup
> you'll have to be sharing the files via dropbox, not just backing them up
> there.

I'm less concerned about appearances than about data.  I certainly need to
share ~/.aqbanking.  It's not so clear that I need to share
~/.gconf/apps/gnucash, since consistency of interfaces isn't so important
(though it wouldn't hurt).  I really don't know about ~/.gnucash.  All of
those would probably be handled with symlinks.

And yes, I'm planning to move all the actual data files into Dropbox.  I
suppose the logfiles will land there anyway if the data files are there, as will
the lockfiles.