Another one unhappy with quickfill

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Mon Jan 17 11:04:40 EST 2011

I would put it at a level of "strong annoyance" -- it's on my "short
list" but lower than:

* getting budget-tracking reports available from outside GNUCash
* making OFX transaction matcher to match (or not, depending on your
perspective) reliably
* getting OFX not to fill in "Account Unknown" or whatever in just about
every transaction
* getting OFX to put the AMEX transaction number into a description field
* adding a "tag" to period-end roll-up transactions so that they can be
included or not in balances/sums

so that's why I haven't looked at it in more depth.

The need to type out a whole name that is part of an OFX-entered,
all-caps name, add a character, then delete it, is a major PITA. Even
adding a "feature" that is "Don't auto-complete ALL-CAPS descriptions"
would handle this reasonably well for me. That would also help in
identifying the OFX-generated transaction rather than the
manually-entered one (the only reason that isn't on my "short list" above)

Splits, for me, are almost always completely wrong -- I would like to be
able to turn off multi-split auto-fill (and, ideally, optionally retain
single-line auto-fill). The better my categorization of things are, the
more annoying the split fill-in becomes. Line-level descriptions/notes,
at least the way that I use them (what book it was at Amazon, who was at
a business meeting, what Sec 125 item was purchased) are very seldom the
same from transaction to transaction. I would like to be able to turn
off, completely, descriptions.

What's left?

* Auto-fill mixed- and lower-case transaction-level description
* In the case of a single-line transaction (only), the other account
* (probably the amount as well, though it wouldn't kill me if it wasn't
there)

The amounts I'm mixed on. About the only place it "helps" is for parking
meters and the ramen joint where I always order the same thing.
Otherwise, it is "wrong" for interest, dividend, and payment amounts, as
well as for the gas stations, grocery stores, online stores, and other
places I frequent.

In the cases where I do have complex, repetitive splits, such as
paychecks and loan payments, I use "duplicate transaction" and prefer
occasional manual intervention to having to use the mouse to remove
splits on the majority of auto-filled transactions. While I'm not an
old-school accountant, there is a lot to be said about being able to
quickly and reliably perform all the day-to-day data entry without
having to reach for the mouse.

Jeff