Another one unhappy with quickfill

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield at acm.org
Mon Jan 17 21:48:15 EST 2011

I find that the usefulness of autocompletion depends on the account.  In my
checking account, autocompletion of the description and transfer account
saves me a lot of typing.  Autocompletion of the amount is usually
incorrect, because I set up scheduled transactions for the entries with
predictable amounts (paychecks, phone bills, weekly ATM withdrawals).
However, tabbing to the amount column and overtyping it is no big deal.

In my mutual fund accounts, autocompletion is rarely correct, because most
transactions are the result of automatic rebalancing, and the transfer
account and even the direction of the transfer are rarely the same twice in
a row.  I usually forget to correct the autocompleted transfer account of at
least one transaction after every rebalancing.  If I could turn off
autocompletion on an account-by-account basis, I probably would have turned
it off for these ones.

However, now that I think about it, I could probably fix this problem by
using a more imaginative description for these transactions than just
"Rebalancing".  If I used "fid123 from fid456" as the description, GnuCash
would make better guesses.