Disable editing of transactions, is it possible?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Jan 18 15:30:01 EST 2011

Jeff Kletsky wrote:

> Rather than beating ourselves against the potential "stupidity" of
> government regulations, perhaps considering it as a "useful feature"
> and coming up with some requirements would be productive. One of the
> things I *hated* about Quick-whatever was that you could totally screw
> things up unintentionally. I'd welcome a feature that "locked down"
> transactions that I had, for example, marked as "cleared" or
> "reconciled" one or more constituent splits.
>
> What data would need to be locked from UI editing?

Confusion?

We are talking about different things? UNINTENTIONAL vs INTENTIONAL
editing? The latter being illegal in the jurisdiction.

We are interpreting CAN'T in different ways? It isn't going to help in
the slightest to make GnuCash "Swedish version" (that doesn't allow
editing that would be illegal in Sweden) if a Swedish user of GnuCash
who wanted to cook the books could simply edit the data whenever he or
she wanted to by using a non-Swedish approved version of the program.
Programs aren't the data. What I was trying to say is that IF the
requirement (of some jurisdiction) is based upon what the software
application can or cannot do with the data then no "open source"
software can be used (since anybody who wants to can make their own
modifications to what the software can do).

I am having a little trouble understanding the difference between
a) If in some jurisdiction I am not allowed to edit the transaction
(need to enter a correcting transaction) refraining from using the "edit
transaction" button.
b) If in some jurisdiction not allowing a version of the application
where editing is allowed refraining from editing my data using a version
of the application that will do editing.

To take your example -- imagine that you had this version with the
lockdown feature. Would this prevent you from changing a locked down
transaction using a different version of the program that ignored "lock
down"?

With proprietary software it is separately illegal to create a different
version (besides being much harder)

Michael