Disable editing of transactions, is it possible?

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Tue Jan 18 15:48:01 EST 2011

No confusion.

If the applicable codes are met by being able to demonstrate that the
software in use makes "reasonable efforts" to prevent changing the data
through the UI, then we're done.

I deal with this in enterprise software that manages legally binding
contracts for one of the most highly regulated industries in the US, as
well as serving customers throughout the world. Yes, you can go ahead
and access the database directly. Party on -- you can't stop that.
However, we can demonstrate that the product, used as intended, takes
reasonable efforts to preserve the state of the contractual information.

Digital images and the availability of Photoshop didn't make photographs
inadmissible as evidence. Shoot, even before then, a good photographer
could significantly modify the print or even a negative in the darkroom.

That this is Open Source software doesn't change it at all, as far as I
am concerned. If you "cook your books" you are probably violating the
code or GAAP, no matter how you do it; modified executables, accessing
the data directly, or even completely re-entering all the data.

I'm willing to explore the requirements and potential implementation
approach for a feature that may have benefit to a variety of users with
a variety of use cases.