Upgrading from 2.2.9 to 2.4.0 on Snow Leopard.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 20 12:10:06 EST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 4:55 AM, David Bergum wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 0:22, John Ralls wrote:

>>> No, I don't have any ~/.MacOS directory.  The one in /sw/bin is the one found in terminal tcsh.  I didn't think about the env being different in Aqua.
>>>
>>> I didn't find any other gconftool-2 in my system.
>>>
>>> I haven't found any access issues.
>>
>> Hmm. Something's strange, then, because programs launched from Finder (which includes launching from the Dock) don't get the environment from your shell, so Gnucash shouldn't be able to find /sw/bin/gconftool-2.
>>
>> I guess a more important issue for you is why Gconf isn't starting up correctly. Did you run the "Update Dirs" applet in the dmg? Is dbus getting started? Ooh, there's one: Is there a dbus-daemon or gconfd instance from Fink running? That might cause trouble.
>
>> psg dbus
>  263   101     1   0   0:00.00 ??         0:00.00 /sw/bin/dbus-daemon --system
>  502   396   193   0   0:00.01 ??         0:00.01 /sw/bin/dbus-daemon --nofork --session
>  502 41691     1   0   0:00.00 ??         0:00.00 /Library/Gnucash-2.4/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --config-file /Applications/GnuCash 2.4.0/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/etc/dbus-1/session.conf
>
> These are the dbus processes I find.  psg is an alias that greps ps output.  I don't know anything about dbus or why Fink would have it.  I use fink to get Xemacs and a few other unix env things I use.

Fink essentially runs a Linux environment in OSX, and lots of Linux programs use dbus for a variety of things, so Fink provides it. I don't remember if Fink adds dbus to launchd, but it might.

A couple of things to try:
* killall dbus-daemon, then check to see if the Fink ones stay killed (if Fink adds it to launchd, then it will get restarted). If they do, try launching Gnucash

* Comment out the section of Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOSX/Gnucash that start up dbus, and launch Gnucash. The idea here is that it might work if there's only one session dbus-daemon.

* creating a new user and launching Gnucash from that userid; that should isolate Gnucash from Fink .

Oh, and "Update Dirs" just copies your ~/.gnucash directory to ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash, which is where Gnucash-2.4.0 expects to find it.

Regards,
John Ralls