Remove all zero-value Imbalance-XXX splits?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 15:14:28 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Jeff Kletsky <gnucash at allycomm.com> wrote:
> On 01/19/2011 10:09 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Jeff Kletsky<gnucash at allycomm.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Many transactions seem to end up with zero-value Imbalance-USD splits
>>> that
>>> make it hard to ensure that all transactions have valid splits as we go
>>> along.
>>>
>>> Is there a way (short of munging the XML or database directly) of
>>> removing
>>> such "meaningless" splits?
>>>
>>> You can't easily open the Imbalance-USD register view and delete them
>>> from
>>> there.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Two ways I can think of to fix the bad transactions:
>>
>> 1) Open the Imbalance-USD register, select a transaction and use the
>> Actions-->Jump command to go to the source of the split.
>>
>> 2) Use  Edit -->  Find to search for transactions using the
>> Inbalance-USD account and edit the splits in the results window. (If
>> it still won't allow you to edit them, you might have to resort to
>> using option #1, above.)
>>

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I was hoping to be able to avoid the "Jump" for each of the transactions,
> but either the Imbalance-USD register or the "find" approach end up with the
> message about not being able to delete the split because it anchors the
> transaction to the view.
>
> Once I cross off some of the more pressing things from my list, I might look
> into a parallel to the "repair transactions" commands to remove all
> Imbalance-XXX and Orphan-XXX splits that have zero value.
>
> They tend to come about because of auto-fill transactions that aren't
> completely cleaned up after entering the proper splits.

My experience has been once you have edited the split, the next
transaction in the register having the same description will
accurately auto-fill exactly as it is in the most recent transaction.
Your edits SHOULD carry over. However, maybe you are entering or
importing a lot of transactions at once and going back to fix them as
a separate step?

Also , what version are you using? At the moment I'm still using 2.2.9
for linux (Ubuntu 10.4). (I haven't compiled the latest release yet,
and may not until I have sent the 2010 reports to my CPA.)