Print checks - Windows workaround (the long way round)

John gnw at nb.net
Sun Jan 23 00:23:47 EST 2011

On 12/29/2010 9:53 AM, the shofster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone besides myself unable to print checks with Win 7 (64bit) and any
> GnuCash version>  2.3.14 (including 2.4.0) ?
>
> Font is very, very, very  small and all shoved into top left corner.
>
> It's as if coordinate scaling is off (by ~ factor of 10). Same results with 2
> different printers and also a "PDF" printer.

Here is a "work around" that lets me print checks with GnuCash 2.4.0.
running on Vista...

I installed Virtual Box on the Vista computer.  Then I installed Ubuntu
10.10 under Virtual Box.  Once Ubuntu 10.10 was running I installed
GnuCash 2.4.0 from source.  That took some doing.  Had to find and
install many packages during the build.  Also had to find workarounds to
two or three glitches that I ran into when trying to run GnuCash after
it was installed. (Fortunately the GnuCash community has posted the
problems and their solutions on the web.  Thanks everyone.)   Finally,
when GnuCash 2.4.0 was running under Ubuntu, I was able to print checks
correctly.    So now, I use the GnuCash running under Vista to do my
bookkeeping and when I need to print a check I re-create the check on
GnuCash running under Ubuntu (running under Vbox, running under Vista)
and print the check from there.   Fortunately I don't print many checks
a month.
I could move the bookkeeping to GnuCash on the virtual Ubuntu machine,
but I am hoping that someone who understands the new GnuCash will
identify the check printing problem on the Windows version and suggest a
fix.

--
John Garber