Unable to find file "slib/init/guile.init" in load path (Kubuntu 10.10)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Jan 31 04:35:55 EST 2011

On Sunday 30 January 2011, Paul Abrahams wrote:
> I've installed Guncash 2.4.0 and until a few days ago it was running fine,
> aside from some issues with aqbanking.  But today when I started it up, it
> aborted almost immediately with the message
>
>  Unable to find file "slib/init/guile.init" in load path
>
> I have both guile 1.6 and guile 1.8 installed.  Does anyone know what is
> going on and what I can do about it?

There seems to be a problem on some platforms with slib only being set up for
guile 1.6, while GnuCash by default picks up guile 1.8.

This link explains how to fix it for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx):
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_.28Lucid_Lynx.29

The part of the wiki page explains how to build GnuCash for Lucid, but you can
ignore that. Only the part about guile-slib-1.8.0 is relevant.

Geert