Unable to find file "slib/init/guile.init" in load path (Kubuntu 10.10)

Paul Abrahams abrahams at acm.org
Mon Jan 31 11:16:29 EST 2011

On Monday, January 31, 2011 04:35:55 am Geert Janssens wrote:
> There seems to be a problem on some platforms with slib only being set up
> for guile 1.6, while GnuCash by default picks up guile 1.8.
>
> This link explains how to fix it for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx):
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_.28Lucid_Lynx.29
>
> The part of the wiki page explains how to build GnuCash for Lucid, but you
> can ignore that. Only the part about guile-slib-1.8.0 is relevant.

No luck.  Here's what I did (as root):

root at Asus-laptop:/usr/share/guile/1.8# rm slib
root at Asus-laptop:/usr/share/guile/1.8# ln -s ../../slib slib
root at Asus-laptop:/usr/share/guile/1.8# guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib))
(require 'new-catalog)"
ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
ERROR: Unable to find file "slib/init/guile.init" in load path

That's the same error I got from gnucash itself.  Whatever the problem may be,
it was probably introduced by a recent Kubuntu update since I did have 2.4.0
running a week ago.

Version inconsistencies are the unpublicized plague of Linux.