mysql server has an error, broken or wrong data.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Jul 9 08:28:36 EDT 2011

On zaterdag 9 juli 2011, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > On woensdag 6 juli 2011, Zhang Weiwu, Beijing wrote:
> >> By the way, I intended to use postgresql, but there is no such a save-as
> >> option in gnucash 2.4.7 XP edition.
> >
> > This is odd. If I install GnuCash 2.4.7 on my Windows XP test system, I
> > can save to postgresql.
>
> Thank you very much for answering all sections of my mail. I have Windows
> XP and my gnucash 2.4.7 does not offer the option to save as postgresql.
> Evidence:
> gopher://sdf.org/p/users/weiwu/snapshots/gnucash_2.4.7_does_not_offer_postg
> resql_on_win_xp.png

It was not my intention to question your observation that postgresql isn't
available for you. I was just informing you that it does work on other
systems.

> One question before I use postgresql: do gnucash support postgresql with
> almost the same quality as it supports mysql? For example, if gnucash uses
> standard queries and use a general library to access database, the quality
> difference might not be so much, but if in programming code they are dealt
> differently, user might expect more bugs in less used databases
> (postgresql).

All db backends are using the libdbi code to query databases. Other than some
minor database specific peculiarities that have to be dealt with, the GnuCash
code runs the same query interface for all supported database types.

Whether this helps to limit database specific problems, I don't know. But at
least they are very local in one part of the code.

Geert