reconcile outstanding checks

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Jul 19 17:16:35 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, July 19, 2011 5:06 pm, Gregory Forster wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I do have an accounting background and reconcile several  accounts
> each month.  I use GC for my own personal and business accounts and use
> Peachtree Accounting for others. Maf is  right.  I still have not
> figured out though, how to print a report in GC of your outstanding
> checks and deposits and other transactions. Peachtree and Quicken do
> very  nice jobs of that.  How do you do that in GC?  If you cannot do it
> in GC, I think that is one important ability that should be added.  One
> reason is, many times checks will eventually clear the bank for a
> different amount than what was recorded.  Tellers DO make errors. The
> biggest hassle is going to the bank with proof. Bank personnel have an
> attitude that their accounting system is 100% foolproof.

Open the register for the account you want to see.
Click on View -> Filter By
Choose the [Status] page
uncheck Reconciled
click OK

You should now have a register of all your unreconciled transactions.
If you wish to print this, then select Reports -> Account Report and then
you can print that page.

Note that this report is just a "printable version" of the register.  If
you want to change the contents of the report you generally need to go
back to the original register and make those changes there, and then
re-run the report.

Enjoy!

> Greg

-derek

> On 7/19/2011 11:32 AM, Maf King wrote:
>> On Tuesday 19 Jul 2011 17:04:05 mchaires at comcast.net wrote:
>>> When I use the Reconcile function, how do I account for outstanding
>>> checks?
>>> The only way I see to reconcile an account with outstanding checks is
>>> clear the checks, even though they weren't paid in  this period.
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that you may be mis-understanding the use of the reconcile
>> function.
>>
>> The idea is that you compare your account with a statement from the bank
>> - if
>> they send you a statement today, then it won't show checks that you may
>> have
>> written recently.  that doesn't matter - you probably know more than
>> your bank
>> about pending and future transactions!
>>
>> the idea of reconciling is to make sure that you agree with everything
>> on the
>> statement, and that you check that the bank haven't for example paid a
>> check
>> twice.
>>
>> You enter the closing balance of the statement, and try to "tick-off"
>> items in
>> your GC register to come to the same total - there will often be items
>> in the
>> gc register that havn't shown on the bank statement (yet).
>>
>> HTH,
>> Maf.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745