gnucash upgrade doesn't find my custom invoice, and doesn't use $ sign

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 23 08:32:20 EDT 2011

Hi fellow users,

excuse me if i'm asking repeat questions, haven't been following
discussions for awhile.

Finally took a big breath and upgraded gnucash (on ubuntu 10.04 LTS) to
gnucash 2.4. Had to use the getdeb repositories as the official ubuntu
option was still 2.2.x

Seemed OK, but I got a note on opening my file in new version that a
printable invoice i'd had open previously, couldn't now be opened
because the template couldn't be found.

I checked, and my template/s ie. farm-invoice.scm and
stylesheet-farm.scm are in the right place (/usr/share/.../reports)
along with all the other invoice templates.

I know there's the Edit>Stylesheets option to make new ones, but I just
want to have gnucash recognise the ones that I already have.

I seem to recall there may be somewhere else I have to add these
template names so gnucash knows to load them on startup... but it's been
a while since I last had to tweak these things. Gnucash docs/help/etc
doesn't dish up an answer to my web searching...

I'd done this process that many times with previous upgrades or new
installs that it should be like riding a bike but apparently not!

To add another hurdle... the reason I upgraded to 2.4 was the previous
update I did of my computer resulted in the 2.2.x gnucash going from
showing $ signs where one would expect them on an invoice, to showing
AUD instead. The 2.4 version seems to still be doing this. Sure, I want
AUD to be my locale/currency, but why can reports and invoices not use
the $ sign??

Comments appreciated, even if they make me look foolish ;-)
-Shane