gnucash upgrade doesn't find my custom invoice, and doesn't use $ sign

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Jul 23 09:51:10 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sat, July 23, 2011 8:32 am, Shane Litherland wrote:
> Hi fellow users,
>
> excuse me if i'm asking repeat questions, haven't been following
> discussions for awhile.
>
> Finally took a big breath and upgraded gnucash (on ubuntu 10.04 LTS) to
> gnucash 2.4. Had to use the getdeb repositories as the official ubuntu
> option was still 2.2.x
>
> Seemed OK, but I got a note on opening my file in new version that a
> printable invoice i'd had open previously, couldn't now be opened
> because the template couldn't be found.
>
> I checked, and my template/s ie. farm-invoice.scm and
> stylesheet-farm.scm are in the right place (/usr/share/.../reports)
> along with all the other invoice templates.

It's possible the interfaces changed between 2.2 and 2.4.  Check your
/tmp/gnucash.trace file and see if anything is printed there?

> I know there's the Edit>Stylesheets option to make new ones, but I just
> want to have gnucash recognise the ones that I already have.
>
> I seem to recall there may be somewhere else I have to add these
> template names so gnucash knows to load them on startup... but it's been
> a while since I last had to tweak these things. Gnucash docs/help/etc
> doesn't dish up an answer to my web searching...

That would be $HOME/.gnucash/config.user

> I'd done this process that many times with previous upgrades or new
> installs that it should be like riding a bike but apparently not!

2.2.x -> 2.2.y is very different than 2.2.x -> 2.4.y

> To add another hurdle... the reason I upgraded to 2.4 was the previous
> update I did of my computer resulted in the 2.2.x gnucash going from
> showing $ signs where one would expect them on an invoice, to showing
> AUD instead. The 2.4 version seems to still be doing this. Sure, I want
> AUD to be my locale/currency, but why can reports and invoices not use
> the $ sign??
>
> Comments appreciated, even if they make me look foolish ;-)

This latter issue implies that your system locale is not set to en_AU, or
the en_AU locale is broken.  Please check your locale settings to make
sure your computer believes you are in Australia, and please make sure
that the locale itself isn't broken.  There is another thread going on
right now talking about this same issue although with the ru_RU locale.

Good Luck,

> -Shane

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745