gnucash upgrade doesn't find my custom invoice, and doesn't use $ sign

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 27 04:06:11 EDT 2011

Hi Derek et al,

SOLVED: 'missing invoice' issue:
to keep this bit brief, basically made another .scm file from the newer
versions because there were a few new 'define' lines, and guid used
rather than name to recognise the report and pull it into the menus etc.
(according to the gnucash wiki on custom reports, versions after 2.3
require a guid not just an unique report name.) used my old file to see
which bits to edit/add/comment out etc, without much hassle.

I found it best to add the report to the 'business' submenu under
reports. (that's the step I knew I should have remembered...)
didn't worry about doing a config.user option
-----------

RE: $ sign issue, have done some sleuthing, including reading posts
regarding the russian and canadian glitches, which both seem to be
drifting around a similar issue to mine.

Then, checked 'locale' from terminal:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_AU
LC_CTYPE="en_AU"
LC_NUMERIC="en_AU"
LC_TIME="en_AU"
LC_COLLATE="en_AU"
LC_MONETARY="en_AU"
LC_MESSAGES="en_AU"
LC_PAPER="en_AU"
LC_NAME="en_AU"
LC_ADDRESS="en_AU"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU"
LC_ALL=

running locale -a shows in the list amongst others:
en_AU.utf8

checking /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU, the relevant bit is

LC_MONETARY
int_curr_symbol         "<U0041><U0055><U0044><U0020>"
currency_symbol         "<U0024>"
which is the unicode $ character for the currency. So it seems I don't
have the issue that the russian/canadian locale had...

other forums/blogs hint at issues with utf8 / UTF-8 causing problems in
some things... could this be the issue here for me?

contents of /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local as per someone's website
comments:

en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

and contents of /etc/default/locale is

LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"

I have checked back again in Gnucash, and noted that in the
Edit>Preferences>Reports (also Edit>Preferences>Accounts-currency),
there are two option, i.e.:
Locale: USD (US Dollar)
Choose: AUD (Australian Dollar) (from the drop-down menu)
both places, I have the AUD choice selected.

So for some reason, is Gnucash thinking my system locale is US? If I
choose Locale:US and run a report $ is where it should be; If I choose
the option box and select AUD then 'AUD' is what shows on a report.
Tweaking this setting didn't seem to affect AUD printing on invoices; I
tried changing customer currency and that had no effect either.

I also noted when starting gnucash with --debug from terminal, that the
first message that comes up is:
"WARN <Gtk> Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale."

So, still chewing this $ issue over...
Regards,
Shane.