Locale problem Re: gnucash upgrade doesn't find my custom invoice, and doesn't use $ sign

tjoen tjoen at dds.nl
Thu Jul 28 04:24:06 EDT 2011

Shane Litherland schreef op wo 27-07-2011 om 18:06 [+1000]:
> RE: $ sign issue, have done some sleuthing, including reading posts
> regarding the russian and canadian glitches, which both seem to be
> drifting around a similar issue to mine.
>
> Then, checked 'locale' from terminal:

> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
> directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Same here, I guess not important

> LANG=en_AU

Should be en_AU.UTF-8 if en.AU is not in:

> running locale -a shows in the list amongst others:
> en_AU.utf8

You can add en_AU by
# localedef -i en_AU -f ISO-8859-1 en_AU

> contents of /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local as per someone's website
> comments:
>
> en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

I think that is only documentation.
On my system (LFS-like) locales are stored in the file
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive

> and contents of /etc/default/locale is
>
> LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"

The question is: which script/lib is reading that?
You see the result above: LANG=en_AU end not en_AU.UTF-8

I had the same problem how to set locale systemwide, I haven't found
out how. My sollution was to set it per user in ~/.xsession

> I also noted when starting gnucash with --debug from terminal, that the
> first message that comes up is:
> "WARN <Gtk> Locale not supported by C library.
> 	Using the fallback 'C' locale."

Does the problem still exist starting gnucash by:
$ LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 gnucash