Expenses Over Time Report

Frank H. Ellenberger f.ellenberger at online.de
Fri Jun 10 09:25:37 EDT 2011

Hi Todd,

Am Samstag, 21. Mai 2011 um 04:46:08 schrieb Todd Mosier:
> I've been trying to create a report similar to the expenses over time bar
> graph, but with the expense account on the y-axis and the month (or
> whatever variable period of time) on the x-axis.  The accounts would be
> subtotaled according to the account hierarchy.  Ideally, I'd like to create
> a line graph as well displaying the various accounts over time.
>
> I'm happy to write dust off my scheme book from college and write this
> myself, but want to make sure that this type of chart isn't already out
> there.  It seems like there is a large group of custom reports already
> created, but I haven't been able to find a general repository or forum
> where reports are shared.

Fine. You could create an enhancement request in bugzilla and attach your new
report there. See
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_contribute_to_the_GnuCash_project.3F
and Development for details.

> Also, the general documentation makes it difficult to write custom reports
> without a hefty amount of initial effort to get ramped up.  Is there a
> general tutorial for beginners that I missed in the documentation?

There is no special tutorial for report writers. Use the guile manual, your
scheme book and http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/ and existing reports.

> FYI, I'm using GnuCash 2.4.5 on Ubuntu 11.04.

HTH
Frank