IRC problem

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 10 11:19:15 EDT 2011

On 6/10/2011 8:22 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> I cannot log in to irc.gimp.org, probably because my IP address is
>> listed as a Tor address.  I cannot find any e-mail address of an
>> administrator to discuss this with. Does anyone know who to telephone or
>> e-mail (or snail-mail)?
> Which IRC client are you using?  It's POSSIBLE that it's due to being a
> Tor address -- in which case you would have a clear message from your
> IRC client that tells you so.  What is the error message you get?
>
> I don't know how to contact the irc admins via email; it's not our
> service, I'm afraid.
>
>> David
> -derek

Derek,

I did not put the technical details in this e-mail because I did not
expect  help directly with a Tor problem in this venue.

I am using pidgin and the error message is

*** Banned: Open proxy or TOR (auto-detected tor-irc.dnsbl.oftc.net;
pre-join gline) (2011/06/09 16.07)

this error message strongly suggests that all Tor exit node addresses
are banned.  When an admin uses this type of elephant gum strategy, a
lot of innocent flies get killed as collateral damage.

Actually, some time long prior to 4:29 pm on 04/23/2010 the developers
of Tor on their wiki page
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/BlockingIrc>
wrote that GIMPnet was a Tor-friendly irc server but they have let that
information get stale..

The standard solution suggested by by Tor developers is to discuss the
issue with administrator of the problematic website.  That is why I am
trying to find a name and address.

of course, a brute force work-around is to use a computer that is not
listed as a Tor exit node, but that is difficult for members of my home
network.

I did send another e-mail to this mail list detailing the issue that I
wanted to discuss on IRC, but so far there has been no response  I
suspect that there is a bug in release 2.4.6 but I did want to confirm
it before committing it to bugzilla.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my e-mail.

David