IRC problem

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 11 10:54:31 EDT 2011

David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Derek,
>
> I did not put the technical details in this e-mail because I did not
> expect  help directly with a Tor problem in this venue.
>
> I am using pidgin and the error message is
>
> *** Banned: Open proxy or TOR (auto-detected tor-irc.dnsbl.oftc.net;
> pre-join gline) (2011/06/09 16.07)
>

> this error message strongly suggests that all Tor exit node addresses
> are banned.  When an admin uses this type of elephant gum strategy, a
> lot of innocent flies get killed as collateral damage.
>
> Actually, some time long prior to 4:29 pm on 04/23/2010 the developers
> of Tor on their wiki page
> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/BlockingIrc>
> wrote that GIMPnet was a Tor-friendly irc server but they have let that
> information get stale..

How Odd.  I guess there was too much Spam from Tor users so they banned
it?

> The standard solution suggested by by Tor developers is to discuss the
> issue with administrator of the problematic website.  That is why I am
> trying to find a name and address.

Alas, I have been unable to find an email address for the
administrators.  It appears that they are only contactable from within
IRC.

> of course, a brute force work-around is to use a computer that is not
> listed as a Tor exit node, but that is difficult for members of my home
> network.

So I guess you only have a single IP Address?
You can't run IRC from another address/host?

> I did send another e-mail to this mail list detailing the issue that I
> wanted to discuss on IRC, but so far there has been no response  I
> suspect that there is a bug in release 2.4.6 but I did want to confirm
> it before committing it to bugzilla.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond to my e-mail.

My pleasure; that's what the user list is for!  :)