IRC problem

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 11 15:11:14 EDT 2011

On 6/11/2011 9:54 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Derek,
>>
>> I did not put the technical details in this e-mail because I did not
>> expect  help directly with a Tor problem in this venue.
>>
>> I am using pidgin and the error message is
>>
>> *** Banned: Open proxy or TOR (auto-detected tor-irc.dnsbl.oftc.net;
>> pre-join gline) (2011/06/09 16.07)
>>

>> this error message strongly suggests that all Tor exit node addresses
>> are banned.  When an admin uses this type of elephant gum strategy, a
>> lot of innocent flies get killed as collateral damage.
>>
>> Actually, some time long prior to 4:29 pm on 04/23/2010 the developers
>> of Tor on their wiki page
>> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/BlockingIrc>
>> wrote that GIMPnet was a Tor-friendly irc server but they have let that
>> information get stale..
> How Odd.  I guess there was too much Spam from Tor users so they banned
> it?
>
>> The standard solution suggested by by Tor developers is to discuss the
>> issue with administrator of the problematic website.  That is why I am
>> trying to find a name and address.
> Alas, I have been unable to find an email address for the
> administrators.  It appears that they are only contactable from within
> IRC.
>
>> of course, a brute force work-around is to use a computer that is not
>> listed as a Tor exit node, but that is difficult for members of my home
>> network.
> So I guess you only have a single IP Address?
> You can't run IRC from another address/host?
>
>> I did send another e-mail to this mail list detailing the issue that I
>> wanted to discuss on IRC, but so far there has been no response  I
>> suspect that there is a bug in release 2.4.6 but I did want to confirm
>> it before committing it to bugzilla.
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time to respond to my e-mail.
> My pleasure; that's what the user list is for!  :)
>
>> David

> -derek
to derek and all,

An update on this issue:  Another individual in the Tor network has
found the name and email of the administrator of record and passed it
along to me.  Next week I will try to start a dialog with him or with
his designate.

About the same time this problem started, another Tor problem has
cropped up for me, which may not be completely unrelated.  I have not
yet solved that problem either.

The reason that I say all computers on my home network are in the same
pickle is because they share a single WAN connection with a single IP
address. While it theoretically is not fixed, as a practical matter it
rarely, if ever changes.   I would have to move some programs and files
to a laptop and take it to Starbucks or Panera.  Or dial-up.  I guess
there are web based IRC chat sites, but the ones I have found do not
allow logging in to my choice of IRC server.

For people who live in Illinois, you may be thinking that I am talking
as much as Rod Blagojevich, so I will stop now and give you a chance to
move on to other matters.

Thanks,

David