Quicken Classes

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 20:31:02 EDT 2011

Dave--

Welcome aboard! To answer your question in a word: no.

Gnucash does not have any construct that matches well with Quicken's classes. The best option offered that I have seen is to use multiple account hierarchies to mimic some of the behaviors of classes. It is, however, fraught with compromises. Basically, one would create different account sets for each class:

Expenses:Auto:Corolla:Fuel
Expenses:Auto:Corolla:Repairs
Expenses:Auto:Corolla:Registration
Expenses:Auto:Lamborghini:Fuel
Expenses:Auto:Lamborghini:Repairs
Expenses:Auto:Lamborghini:Registration

[Or you can invert it and put the cars under each functional account]

Then, you can create reports to analyze the data, both within the class, and across classes by function. But as I stated before, it is a gnarly compromise.

Hope that helps,
David