Creating a file to import in GNUCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 12 11:05:24 EDT 2011

Hi,

Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr> writes:

> On 05/31/2011 11:32 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Unfortunately OFX doesn't handle Split Transactions.  In that case
>> you're better off to export into QIF.
>
> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks for the previous reply you gave.
>
> Thanks for the tip, exporting to QIF worked, it does support split
> transactions, and I managed to make it possible to have each type of
> transaction sent to the correct account.
>
> However, I have a big problem. Let me give an example (I have twice the
> issue with 2 companies in different countries).
>
> My company is in UK, and does its accounting in GBP, but sells its
> service through out Europe, and then each transaction are in EUR. Each
> transaction has the following components:
>
> - Total paid by customer
> - Paypal charges (has to be accounted as bank charge)
> - Eventually, VAT (depending on the country of customer, and if he has a
> valid EU VAT number or not)
>
> All these data, I have them in EUR. At the end, I wish to have the total
> paid - paypal charges sent to my payal account in GNUCash, and in EUR,
> but the rest of should be (automatically?) converted to GBP.
>
> Since it's written in the import dialog that GNUCash doesn't support
> multi-currency imports, what are my options? If needed, do you think it
> would be hard to implement a patch for GNUCash so that it can have the
> feature that I need?

Alas, right now QIF is single-currency only.  You cannot (currently) do
this.  I couldn't answer you about how hard it would be.  My
recommendation would be to do the import in EUR into an EUR account, and
then you can do a bulk transfer from EUR to GPB.

Either that or do the conversion ahead of time and import it all as GBP.