Creating a file to import in GNUCash

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sun Jun 12 07:40:34 EDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 11:32 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Unfortunately OFX doesn't handle Split Transactions.  In that case
> you're better off to export into QIF.

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the previous reply you gave.

Thanks for the tip, exporting to QIF worked, it does support split
transactions, and I managed to make it possible to have each type of
transaction sent to the correct account.

However, I have a big problem. Let me give an example (I have twice the
issue with 2 companies in different countries).

My company is in UK, and does its accounting in GBP, but sells its
service through out Europe, and then each transaction are in EUR. Each
transaction has the following components:

- Total paid by customer
- Paypal charges (has to be accounted as bank charge)
- Eventually, VAT (depending on the country of customer, and if he has a
valid EU VAT number or not)

All these data, I have them in EUR. At the end, I wish to have the total
paid - paypal charges sent to my payal account in GNUCash, and in EUR,
but the rest of should be (automatically?) converted to GBP.

Since it's written in the import dialog that GNUCash doesn't support
multi-currency imports, what are my options? If needed, do you think it
would be hard to implement a patch for GNUCash so that it can have the
feature that I need?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)