Calculating Simple Daily Interest?

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:13:37 EDT 2011

Part of the challenge I have found with this situation is that the
principal/interest split depends on when the DOED posts your payment. So,
even if your payment (like mine) is auto-debited on the 28th (or whatever)
of the month, if the 28th falls on a weekend date, the payment is not posted
until the next business day. This increases the number of days since the
prior payment.

I just leave the scheduled transaction with the payment amount as the credit
to the asset (checking) account and no amount in either the Interest Expense
debit or the Liability debit (scheduled transactions do allow unbalanced
transactions). When the scheduled transaction posts, I enter the two debit
amounts according to my amortization schedule and then reconcile it
periodically with the DOED website.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with an amortization schedule using the simple
interest formula that DOED uses; I would be glad to share it with you if you
wish.

Robin