Oh dear, it turns out we don't get VAT back...

edpsystems systems at englishdentalpractice.com
Tue Jun 14 09:12:46 EDT 2011

...so after spending 6 months plugging all our purchases into GnuCash as
Bills, and processing payments correctly so that the asset accounts
reconcile at the end of each month, our accountants tell me that as we don't
charge VAT to our customers, we can't claim it back from the tax office on
purchasing.

So I've entered the net costs from about 400 invoices as Bills, with the VAT
calculated according to the Tax Table for each Vendor and the VAT has been
syphoned off into a separate VAT account. All my expenses are incorrect then
because they show the net cost (in the hope that the VAT is returned to us,
when it isn't).

[kicks himself]

My question is, is there a simple way of correcting all the items on all the
Bills so they include the VAT?

Many thanks in advance
Stu