Ordering of transactions

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Fri Jun 17 03:51:23 EDT 2011

Hi,

As written on a previous thread, I wrote an export to .qif function in
my software, so I could import it later on GNUCash. This part is working
really well.

Now, my issue is that I need to check that what I import is correct, and
that I have a correct balance in GNUCash, compared to what I have in
Paypal. The issue is that GNUCash has no notion of the time of a
transaction, and then transactions are ordered very differently than
what I have on paypal. Because of that, the balance that I have on my
paypal history isn't the same as the one I have on GNUCash, and it makes
it very hard to check.

So, is there a way to say that transaction A, written on the 1/1/2011,
has to be written before transaction B on the same date? Or maybe, is
there a way to store the time of a transaction, so that they are ordered
on the same way as in my Paypal? Is there a way to have this automated?
How is GNUCash ordering transactions that are on the same date? Does it
use the Description filed, and order by alpha order? If that is the
case, then it's gona be easy for me to change it, and put a reference
number in there...

Thomas