Question?

DouglasCarnall dougie.carnall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 06:38:22 EDT 2011

I'm not surprised this is an FAQ as there are two lines within about 50 lines
of the top of the GNUcash data file with the term gncInvoice in them.
Section 12.6.6. of the GNUcash manual (Assign Starting Invoice Number)
rather loftily prefaces its vague instructions with "You can change the
starting invoice number if it is important you." (!)

The number you need to edit relates to the first occurrence of the term
gncInvoice in the data file, thus:

 <slot>
        <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key>
        <slot:value type="integer">[**edit here**]</slot:value>
      </slot>

Probably bad things will happen if you do this with GNUcash running.

Once you've picked a start number for invoices that you like, save, restart
GNUcash, and the next invoice created will reflect the change. I picked 176,
which was approximately the number of minutes I spent working this out. Or
it felt like it.