Deposit with multiple items

brendan brendan at schaefermail.net
Thu Mar 3 05:22:07 EST 2011

"How do I assign each item in the deposit to the appropriate account
during the split deposit action? "

This is an old thread, but I ran into this same problem, and found very
little information about this anywhere.  Entering basic deposits from
multiple items is such a common and necessary task that I'm surprised
there's not any information about it in the GNUcash Help files or tutorial.

I also found the answers given in this post to be a little bit unclear and
overly complicated.  Also, it seems cumbersome to have to manually add up
the total of all the deposit items before entering the deposit.  So I had to
figure out how to do this myself, and am posting my solution here as a
resource for any other poor soul who happens to run abreast of this problem.

To enter a deposit with multiple items, these are the steps I follow:

1. Open the bank account register for the account you are depositing to.

2. Start a new entry normally by entering the date, and name it something
like "Deposit"

3. Right-click the entry and select "Split Transaction" to show the extra
rows for the items you are depositing, and tab through to the first line

4. The Account on this line will automatically be entered as a deposit to
the asset account you are depositing to.  If you don't already know what the
total amount of the deposit is (I usually don't, since I may have 5-10 items
to deposit), leave the amount blank in this first line and tab through to
the next line.

5. Enter the first deposit item on the second line, assigning it to a
particular income account (i.e. "Income:Reimbursable In"), and enter the
amount in the Withdrawal column.

6. When you tab through to the next line, GNUcash will automatically place a
value in the Deposit column matching the amount you just entered for the
first item.  Enter a name and account for the second item, and then delete
the amount from the Deposit column and enter the amount of the second
deposit item in the Withdrawal column.

7. When you tab through to the third line, GNUcash will automatically enter
the sum of the first two items in the Deposit column.  Repeat step 6 above,
deleting the amount in the Deposit column and entering the new item in
Withdrawal, until you have finished with all of the deposit items.

8. When you have entered the last item, tab through to the next line to see
the total in the Deposit column there.  Then go to the top line of the
deposit and enter the total in the Deposit column there, and delete it from
the bottom line.

This seems like an awkward way to go about it, since you have to delete the
total and then enter it manually, but I have not found a better way to do
this at present.  Perhaps a future version of GNUcash will include a feature
where the top line will automatically calculate the total for you.