Please, please provide a way to cancel quickfill on a per-transaction basis

Paul Abrahams abrahams at acm.org
Sat Mar 5 15:56:23 EST 2011

I like Gnucash, but it's maddening what I have to do to get rid of a
transaction split caused by quickfill from the previous transaction.  I've
tried adding a space after the description field, as someone once suggested.
That works once, but then the name followed by a space is memorized also.

It's not good design to force a user to switch focus from keyboard to mouse
and back again unless it's absolutely necessary.  There's no easy keyboard way
to get rid of the split.  Even Alt-N/v doesn't do it because V in that context
is listed both for RemoVe Transaction Split and Void Transaction.  And that
still would be far more keystrokes than needed.

Having a backspace at the beginning of the description kill quickfill for that
transaction would solve the problem neatly without in any way inconveniencing
the use of quickfill when it's wanted.

My observation is that for some payees the account is the same almost all the
time, like a gas station, and for others it's almost always different, like
Walmart or Costco.