Pre-defined dates in report definition

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Mon Mar 7 05:11:00 EST 2011

The reporting system uses a number of generic predefined dates when setting up a report definition - eg, "start of financial period", "today", "start of current quarter", etc.  The nice thing about using these generic dates is that the report will Just Work whenever it is run, without need to put in any actual values.

One report that I have to produce regularly is a list of transactions already posted to the books but having a future date, and which thus do not appear in my "to date" reports.  When defining this future transactions report, I initially put in a start date of "today" - but of course, transactions dated today will also appear in the "to date" reports.  This means that every time I run the future transaction report I must remember to enter the real start date.  Ideally, then, to make my future transactions report work I need an addtional predefined date for "tomorrow".

An alternative, and possibly more flexible and useful, approach would be provide a way of entering an increment (or decrement!) to an existing pre-defined date - eg, "today + 1".

Any thoughts?

(I was going to put that into Bugzilla as a suggestion, but I can't work out how I classify anything I put into Bugzilla as a suggestion rather than a bug ...)

Colin