Utility bills...

Stein Erik Berget stein.erik at berget.org
Mon Mar 7 05:01:37 EST 2011

Hi guys and girls!

I've got a more of a book keeping technical question than a Gnu Cash one I
think. Or you can decide for yourself :-) Here we go:

Where I live we usually pay for the electricity _after_ we have used it,
and we read off the electricity meter ourself. I would like to track the
usage of electricity in 'kWh', as I want to monitor the electricity usage,
and not only the cost.

The first part would be to set up an 'Liability' account to track the
'usage', but that one would be 'zeroed' out when I pay the electricity
bill. That should be easy enough. I would like to create an 'expense'
account with the 'security/currency' 'kWh', but I'm only allowed to select
   from the category 'Currency' here. So I would have to 'lie' to create a
kWh currency, I guess I can live with that...

I really want to have two different kWh account types, as one is for the
electricity and the other for the electricity transportation (network
charge), but that's another story.

What have others done with this? Not cared or am I a bit over eager with
my personal finances? The reason for me wanting to do this is to see how
my electricity usage changes if and when I put in a new type of heater
(heat pump). And the prices of electricity changes all the time...

Did this make any sense what so ever?

--
Stein Erik