Utility bills...

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:19:31 EST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 03:28, Stein Erik Berget <stein.erik at berget.org> wrote:
> ...snip...
> I would like to track the usage of electricity in 'kWh',
> as I want to monitor the electricity usage, and not
> only the cost.
> ...snip...
> What have others done with this?

When I get my Gas & Electric bill, I enter a gnuCash txn in my
checking account to pay the bill.

I put the "kWh"s into the Notes field on the individual split line for
electric.  I copy/paste it right off the pdf bill:

Jan 10 - Feb 8 Days=29 Current=44113 Previous=43855 Usage=258 kWh

I type the "Therms" into the Notes field on the individual split line
for gas.  I copy/paste it right off the pdf bill:

Jan 10 - Feb 8 Days=29 Current=3113 Previous=3073 CCF=40
Factor=1.02862 Therms=41

These numbers would show up on my Transaction Report under the
appropriate Expense category.

There is no totaling (since Notes is not an amount field), but I don't care.

--
jcard21