MacOS cannot save settings

Michael gnucash at michael.wiedau.com
Wed Mar 9 15:22:59 EST 2011

Hi,

thanks for your tip John, I really had a big error message in the console. This text was added several times in one message:

----------------------------------
Failed to save key /apps/gnucash/dialogs/tip_of_the_day/current_tip: No database available to save your configuration: Unable to store a value at key '/apps/gnucash/dialogs/tip_of_the_day/current_tip', as the configuration server has no writable databases. There are some common causes of this problem:
1) your configuration path file /Library/Gnucash-2.4/etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't found
2) somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd processes
3) your operating system is misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in your home directory or
4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't properly notify the server on reboot that file locks should be dropped. If you have two gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was launched), logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back in may help. If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents remote CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc. As always, check the user.* syslog for details on problems gconfd encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and it must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual storage locations such as ~/.gconf
----------------------------------

I suppose you know this text.
Because I don't think I am using any NFS stuff (having a single standalone computer here), I suppose it is one of the first two problems. First, I checked if I have two processes running:

----------------------------------
michaels-macbook-pro-15:2 Michael$ ps -ax | grep gconf
 6237 ttys000    0:00.00 grep gconf
michaels-macbook-pro-15:2 Michael$
----------------------------------

You see, this is not the case.
So, maybe my "path" file is broken?
Here it is:

----------------------------------
# This file stores the addresses of config sources for GConf
# When a value is stored or requested, the sources are scanned from top to
# bottom, and the first one to have a value for the key (or the first one
# to be writeable) is used to load/store the data.

# See the GConf manual for details

# Look first in systemwide mandatory settings directory
xml:readonly:/opt/gnucash-2.3.x/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory

# To read in any mandatory settings that the Sys Admin may have created
# prior to a desktop system upgrade. The SysAdmin can stick read-only system
# wide sources in this file.
include /opt/gnucash-2.3.x/etc/gconf/2/local-mandatory.path

# Now see where users want us to look - basically the user can stick arbitrary
# sources in a ~/.gconf.path file and they're inserted here
include "$(HOME)/.gconf.path"

# Give users a default storage location, ~/.gconf
xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf

# Location for system-wide settings that are set by the defaults mechanism
xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system

# To read in any defaults settings that the Sys Admin may have created
# prior to a desktop system upgrade. The SysAdmin can stick default values
# system-wide in this file.
include /opt/gnucash-2.3.x/etc/gconf/2/local-defaults.path

# Finally, look at the systemwide defaults
xml:readonly:/opt/gnucash-2.3.x/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults

I didn't have a ~/.gconf directory, so I created ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash by hand.
Still Gnucash isn't saving my settings.

As I read the contents of the "path"-file, it searches for a default file, if it cant find the user's settings file.
But as i can see, there is no /opt/gnucash-2.3.x directory.

What can I do?

Best regards,
Michael