getting started tutorial

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 21:23:07 EST 2011

Matias--

For background, what version are you using, how did you get it, and what operating system are you on?

Next I'll note that the Google search you reference points to documentation for Gnucash version *1.8*. That version is long in the past, and Gnucash is up to version 2.4.3. Substantial changes in the program AND documentation have been made since then. To get to the more current documents, go to http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide.pdf

[Aside: Why is it that Google always seems to get the v. 1.8 documentation anyway? Is there a way to get the *CURRENT* documentation indexed first in Google?]

As for your troubles, I'll note that the basic steps described there are accurate (if obviously not completely clear). Can you explain precisely what you mean by "I tried all sorts of things but they didn't work out"? Can you be more specific--particularly with what result you got that tells you that you have something wrong (for example: "When I followed the steps, the transaction included an extra line for Imbalance-USD in the amount of $70, and I couldn't get rid of it.")

Cheers,
David