Anyone using GnuCash in OZ for BAS?

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Fri Mar 11 03:08:30 EST 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:26:08 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> Is anyone using GnuCash for business in Australia? In particular for
> doing BAS reports? I'd hugely appreciate a blow-by-blow account of how
> to do it, because at the moment it looks like that's going to be a
> very manual process.

1. GST accounted using some user friendly names
	GST collected
	GST paid
		GST paid - vehicle

(because the vehicle has some private use)

2. A report based on Transaction Report
which reports on the 3 GST accounts, totalled by month and by quarter
for the 3 accounts, set to run "start of previous quarter" and finish
"end of previous quarter"

3. On each transaction I record splits, calculating the GST (just type
150/11/*10 in the line for a $150 dollar transaction for the 'work
expense' part of the split  and type 150/11 for the GST - paid part,
Gnucash will calculate the details.

4. for the vehicle at the end of the quarter I reckon up my share of
the expenses and the GST - doing this manually at present, but is ripe
for automation, put this in and balance to an appropriate account where
I owe the business money and vice versa,

5. copy the GST totals onto the paper form. I avoid the lines which ask
for the totals spent and the ATO has not complained, nor has my
accountant.