Question Regarding Reconciling Deposits

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Mar 11 12:10:06 EST 2011

On Friday 11 March 2011 16:56:47 Mark Phillips wrote:
> Other than date, is there anyway to indicate in gnucash and on the
> reconciliation screen which entries go with which deposit slip?
>
> For example, I make 2 deposits in one day - the first has 9 checks for a
> total of $150 and the second has 14 checks for a total of $375. The second
> deposit was late in the day, so it was credited to the next day or perhaps
> the next month's statement. When I get my statement from the bank at the
> end of the month, I see 1 deposits on one day - $150. In the reconciliation
> screen, I see 23 deposits on one day, one for each check. It takes a little
> time to sort out which ones have cleared and which ones have not.
>
> At the moment, I am keeping a sheet of paper with notes on it to keep track
> of which deposit went on which deposit slip. Can't gnucash do this for me?

Hi Mark,

You could use a split transaction for the deposit txns - ie
Asset Bank : 150
income 1: 70
income 2: 30
income 3: 40

but that won't work if you are using the business/invoicing/AR module, when
AFAIK, the only way to do what you want is to make GC use an intermediate
account, so you show all the individual deposits into something like
Assets:Bank:combining, and then make a transfer out of that account for each
of the actual deposits you make into the bank (ie the 150, 375 etc.)

HTH,
Maf.