Announcing new online tool for importing PayPal transactions into gnucash

Lloyd Standish lloyd at crnatural.net
Fri Mar 18 19:39:52 EDT 2011

Hello,
I use gnucash for my small business, and need to import transaction data from my business PayPal account.  Recently I discovered that the PayPal QIF history download is incomplete: for example, sales transactions which were partially-refunded are completely omitted!

Fortunately, PayPal's CSV history download *does* have all transactions.  Since my gnucash 2.2.6 doesn't do CSV import, and since I found it to be non-working in 2.4.2, I decided to write a PayPal CSV to QIF converter.  It solved my problem.

The QIF files are optimized for gnucash.  That is, my converter adjusts the 'name' and 'type' QIF fields of several common PayPal business transaction types to play well with gnucash's QIF import wizard.

I have made this PayPal CSV to gnucash QIF converter available for use online, via a web interface, with special security precautions taken:
http://www.crnatural.net/PayPalcsv2qif