[Bulk] Re: new user of Gnucash - questions

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Mar 26 07:55:29 EDT 2011

>>The point raised in the lists here historically is that, from a legal
>>perspective, it is very difficult (if not impossible) to guarantee in
>>an electronic environment that a given data set has maintained its
>>integrity. As Derek hinted, the only true guarantee is to create an
>>immutable copy on CD.
>>

>which my accountant then prints out and keeps that paper copy....
>
>so that the copy on which they prepared my returns is in a particular
>form in their office.

In my case (for the organizations for which I am responsible) I burn multiple copies and distribute some out of my control. This is a reasonable guarantee that the data has not been altered as if that is ever in question, these can be compared.

Things like system dates placed on data? It's SOFTWARE that does that. So no, we who design/write programs need not alter the computer's machine date to fake dates, just use our own version of a CD burning program that instead of placing the current machine date there places whatever date we desire.

Like I used to tell folks in the shop ---- the data on files indicating when last changed and by whom? I could make that "you" and "yesterday" (not what it actually was) with the so called system security being simply ignorance -- very few in the shop knew how to take control of "label" writing routines.

Michael D Novack, FLMI