[Bulk] Re: new user of Gnucash - questions

Dale Alspach alspach at math.okstate.edu
Sat Mar 26 11:19:11 EDT 2011

A locking feature for periods/transactions would be a useful addition. As I
noted in my previous post, I don't want this as a hurdle for someone
wanting to commit fraud but to prevent some human errors. I have certainly
had a brain freeze while making entries and used a keyboard shortcut to put
something in a previous month but actually put it in a previous year. If
there were a setting to warn the user or to actually block entries in a
certain period, then this type of user error could be made rarer.

[Response to Elizabeth Dodd's request]
Trying to close on a month by month basis is very difficult. I assist a
small non-profit and the governing board needs to get monthly reports. The
board generally meets the third or fourth week of the month. We give them a
report as of the end of the previous month. It is close to being  correct
as a fiscal snapshot but if you were to rerun the report for the same
period a few months later it would be different. It frequently
happens that at the board meeting someone will hand the treasurer a receipt
dated weeks earlier or tell the treasurer " Oh yeah I ordered some stuff
and I need to bring you ..."  When we close our fiscal year we don't even
consider giving the CPA records until at least 6 weeks after the end of the
fiscal year.

Dale