Non-Taxable Grants

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu May 5 16:45:15 EDT 2011

Roger wrote:

> In Canada we've received grants from the Ontario government to cover
> cost of converting to HST.  I am confused because it is income and I
> don't know where to put it so that I won't be paying tax on it.  How
> should it be recorded in Gnucash so that no tax will be paid on it?

Not precisely a gnucash question (you'd apparently have the same
question keeping books the old fashioned way on paper)

Begin at the beginning. WHY are you assuming that just because something
is "income" it would be taxable? Assuming that Canada isn't that
different than here (or anywhere else) in this regard it has tax rules
defining what is or isn't taxable and those rules are very unlikely to
be as simple as "whatever is considered "income" in bookkeeping. Heck,
likely you have to report different sorts of (taxable) income on
different lines of the tax form (I do here in the US) and not all
necessarily taxed at the same rate.

Isn't it the same for you on the expense side? Some sorts of expenses
perhaps deductible in tax reporting, others not?

OK -- you want a how to do answer. Well fix up your chart of accounts to
reflect that some of the income accounts are taxable and other not.
Under Income you create placeholder accounts with names like "Taxable
Income" and "Non-taxable Income" and put your income accounts  as
children under these according to whether taxable or not.

Michael D Novack, FLMI