Posted invoice 'memo' field

Nik gnucash at babel.homelinux.net
Thu May 5 23:42:42 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

I have been using GnuCash for about 6 months now to manage the invoicing
for my small consulting company, and am relly pleased with the
improvement of my invoice and payment handling - thank you to everyone
involved! :o)

I've encountered an issue that I find really annoying, and I was
wondering if I am just "doing it wrong", or whether there is a feature
enhancement opportunity in there. :o)

The annoyance I find is that I have to enter invoice-specific
information twice to have it visible where I would find it most useful:
in the Accounts/Receivable account.

So my current workflow is:

1. create a new invoice, complete with notes on customer, job details,
and PO number.
2. enter the various entries for the invoice
3. post the invoice - due to the length of time most of my jobs take,
this is often some time (a week or more) after I created the invoice.
-- Now, I have to remember to /copy/ the useful information from the
invoice notes into the posting memo field - otherwise that information
doesn't show up in the A/R, and all I get in A/R is a list of invoices
to the same customer, that are only distinguishable by their amounts
(which tend to be quite similar).

I would find it /really/ useful if some or all of the invoice notes were
copied automatically into the posting memo field.

So, my questions:

Q1: Is there a way to enter information into the invoice such as PO
number that will be visible in the A/R listing once the invoice has been
posted?

Q2: Assuming not, then what would people see as the best enhancement to
address this?
- i) copy the first /n/ lines from invoice notes into posting memo when
posting, and allow the user to edit the memo field;
- ii) make the invoice notes visible in the A/R view as well as, or
instead of, the posting memo field;
- iii) other?

I am quite happy to code either i) or ii) and submit the changes as a patch.

Cheers!
Nik